Tuesday, March 16, 2010

When does the bullying stop?

I, myself have been picked on for being different and it was because of my hair. People continue to say things about me that should bother me. Now that I grew older, I've learned I need to accept myself and love myself. Once that happened other opinions didn't bother me as much. Growing up I didn't have the confidence I now have and it did bother me.

I see people all the time getting picked on for what they believe in, their apparence and their sexual preference. This one story bothered me to the fullest extend. I just got so upset with the world while reading this article about a a 15 year old boy.

Lawrence King was a fifteen year old boy in High School just like most are. According to friends and family he was a sweet, generous and smart young boy. He was not interested in girls, he just wasn't attracted to them. He was gay, he was very much into boys. Kids in his school couldn't accept who he truly was and bullied him for being gay. Lawrence dressed like a girl in heels, skirts and tight t-shirts.

I don't feel that anyone should have anything to say about the way he dressed. He was comfortable in his own shoes when he felt like a girl and he accepted himself. This was who he was, he was Lawrence King.  Lawrence King was a homosexual that dressed as a girl to feel comfortable in his own skin.

Lawrence wasn't accepted by any of his classmates. He was tormented and bullied on because he was gay. That is not a reason to be bullied on, there is no reason to bully anyone. Poor Larry was victimized by these students. It got to a point where one of his very own classmates pulled a shot gun and shot him right in the head. For what you ask? For being gay.

This is insane and this topic strikes me very harshly. Lawrence deserved to live as much as anyone else did and just because he wasn't interested in the opposite sex, he lost his life.

*To read the article on his death please click the link below.
Lawrence King's death

1 comment:

  1. WOW ! This story is very sad, honestly what has this world come to. I have respect for everyone. Even people that dont like me I still show them respect being the better person that I am just because Im not a person out for trouble. I have nothing against homosexuals and I Think no one else should eiether. If that is how someone wants to be then let them be that way. And with you.. that was your choice if you wanted to cut your hair or not and you chose to and you did it for a good cause so I respect that very much. For anyone that dont like it don't listen to them because I honestly think that it looks very nice on you and suits you very well.

    ReplyDelete